08 August 2007

Garden update

Well, we have eaten the first tomato of the season -- it was nice, sweet and not acid. It was wonderful in our first BLTs of the summer. I put the last remnants into salad with out own greens for lunch today - -what a rush! A salad I grew myself!

There are three or four more tomatoes that are almost read and will be ready in the next few days so I am looking forward to many more salads over the next few weeks - - and dried and canned tomatoes!

We had the first (and maybe only) carrots and they had that sharp, woody flavour I remember from when I was a kid. That was kind of a disappointment and I am not sure whether to bother planting nthem next year.

The first cauli got big and ricey; we obviously should have picked it sooner, but it stayed very, very shallow. We'll try it tonight anyway. The other two (or three if the rabbits leave the one in the plot garden) will get picked small.

The rabbits, incidentally, have gotten in and made short work of the plot garden. They left the tomatoes and zucchini alone, but they have been working away at the cabbage and the broccoli was a one-night snack. So far the cauli seems to have survived, if somewhat worse for wear, but I'm not counting on that. We do, after all, refer to it as 'the bunny garden' for a reason. I was a tiny bit dismayed for a moment -- but I planted the pot garden because I *know* rabbits are not really good at sharing, so it only took a moment's dismay before I was ok with it.

The poor zucchini that was having trouble over in the pot is looking even more sad for all this rain and the fruit has been rotting before it got to an inch. Next year, no zucchini in pots. The other squashes seem to be just fine in pots, but not poor old Zuke. But since the rabbits are happy to leave them to us, one zucchini plant in the garden is probably enough.

Other than the one in the garden, which the rabbits got as soon as it had any baby broccoli on it, there has been no sign on broccoli heads forming yet. Maybe when they weather cools down?

Oh, and co-workers have started to cry "uncle" about the zucchini -- [heh] -- so I've started to dry it. That seems like the best preservation method. Canned and frozen both sound soggy and unappealing to me. But we had some yummy dried zucchini chips as we were passing through Whole Foods recently...when I tasted them (and Jack went back for more) I knew that was my answer. Fortunately the zukes last a long time on the counter because I can only dry 3 pounds of them every 36 hours. ;) Last night I tried tamari with garlic and ginger flavouring and Southwest flavouring. Tomorrowe, I can tell you how that went.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!